There stood probably at this place since the 11th century a norman church. From the beginnning of the 13th century on this would be replaced slowly (especially during the 14th, 15th and 16th century)by a larger, gothic one.
In 1940 the spire disappeared during a storm, and since then the crossing tower has a flat roof.
Amongst the furniture we name the altar with doors in the high chancel in black, white and flamed marble and albaster by Hubert van den Eynde and the piece of altar the 'Adoration of the Holy Mother' by Gaspard de Craeyer from 1634-1636.
The font is separated with a wooden panel with copper balusters from 1635-1637, and has a norman baptismal font in stone from Doornik from the first half of the 12th century. One of the carved-out sidepanels shows the Last Eveningmeal.
The baroque pulpit is from 1681-1684 and is from the hand of Mattheus van Beveren.
There is a statue 'Christ on the lap of His Mother' by Erasmus Quellin.
The marbler baroque choir screen that used to separate the high choir was decorated amongst others by Arthus Quellin and Mattheus van Beveren .
Amongst the paintings we name the 'Aanbidding der Herders' by Antoon Van Dyck (probably from 1632), 'The Holy Mary with Child and Canon Jan van Calendries' and 'Saint-Rochus and those who suffer from Pest' by Gaspard de Craeyer.
There are also grave stonesfrom the 15th till 18th century.