One would not expect this courthouse having its roots in a late Gothic building, drawn by Rombout Keldermans. The interior place, with its tudorgotische arches is a witness of this.
In 1612, the city of Mechelen added an audience room for the Grant Council (in fact, they had another building, the Palace of the Grant Council, but this got never finished).
L.Blomme carried through an important renovation between 1876 and 1882, gingint the building a strong new renaissance impression.
In the interior, the 'Granvelles' Room' kept its gothic vaulting. The renaissance ceiling of the Margaretha's trone room is also still there.
Looking at the old picutre, one can see that this part of the street didn't undergo recent important changes.