The western tower of this gothic church dates from the 15th century. The choir, the transept and the 3 aisled nave date from the 17th century. In 1826 a new tunnel vault was added.
In the western tower, there is a bell from 1309. According to some sources, this would be the eldest church bell in Europe! We contradict this, as in the Netherlands there is a bell from 1284 and one from 1285 in museums. During the second Worls War, the Germans wanted to steal this church, but the pastor managed to change thier minds... The Maria bell carries a text and <<+ ANNO o DNI o M o CCC o IX o N o DCB o + MARIA>>. The diameter of the bell 96 cm and it's 80 cm heigh. It's shape is comparable to one made in 1353 in a church in Saalfeld in Germany. It's wrtings are similar to the ones of the bell in the Saint Peters' church of Aachen. This brings us to the dia that proably this bell was made in Germany.
In the interior, there are quite some interesting treasures. We name
A funny story is related to the stone owls which are standing in the belfry windows. They were put there to scare off the pigeons. But as this failed, they had to close the belfry windows by gauze.
For more info and pictures, click here.