In 1533 the guild of the painters replaced their wooden guildhall by a stone building. The ground floor was still gothic, but from the first floor onwards renaissance elements appear.
After the bombardments of 1695 the ruins were sold to a stonecutter who built a second renaissance building.
Under the alias of Lanvin, Victor Hugo stayed in this house when he had to flee from Napoleon III. Here he wrote amongst other works the pamphlet 'Napoléon le Petit'.
Click here for more buildings on the Town Square (Grote Markt).