The objective of this monastry was to teach english imigants catholic instruction. It was erected in 1629 out of the Saint Ursula convent in Leuven.By 1650 it became a full convent.
In the 18th century great constructionworks took place. The refectory and pledgecorridor were enlarged and the closed stepped gable got a classicistic porche. A dome church was built between 1736 and 1739 according to the plans of the architect Hendrik Pulinx werd tussen 1736 en 1739. This one aisled church is in late baroque or classicistic style. The dome is supported by penditives. The sidewalls of the dome are pierced on the four sides with ovale windows. The facade is flanked with composite-pilaster that support a fronton.
The income was shut in 1802 . Above the entrance there is a snapped fronton that is crowned with a tabernacle.
The interior of the church is richely decorated. The main altar is made of 23 different marble species. The domepaintings are dated from 1870.
Guido Gezelle died here probably 27 november 1899. This is comemorated with a verset 'En 'k hoorde de veugeltjes zoo geerne schufelen'. at the entrance.
Mary O'Connell: 'This is very beautiful indeed and full of English History.'