This bridge over the Schelde is 365 meter long. It is so the longest bridge in Belgium.
The first bridge was built by Eifel,end was terminated in 1870 . It was in use for the trainjunction between Mechelen and Terneuzen. The bridge was only accessible for trains and pedestrians, because at that time there were no cars.With its length of 343 meters it was the longest bridge in Belgium.
The bridge was very deteriorated during the first world war. It was restaurated, but because of strategic reasons it was demollished in 1940 by the Beglian and French genietroups.
The construction of a new bridge had priority after the war. There were lot of discussions about weather the bridge would have a second trafficstrip. There was also a wish to construct a second bridge about at the shipyard Boel. Finally it was decided , under the pression of Temse,to rebuild the destroyd bridge but with two trafficstripes.
The first stone or pile was placed the 2nd june 1949. The solemn inauguration took place with king Baudouin the 19th december 1955. The actual bridge is 365 meter long. There is a part that can be ellevated, whereunder the high boats can reach and leave Temse. The largness of this passage is important because it decides of the maximal size of the seeboats, that could be built in the shipyard Boel.
In april 1994 the drawable part of the bridge was replaced by a new rolbalance, the reinauguration of the bridge took place 29 april 1994.
On the side of Temse there are two monumental statues by Karel Aubroeck: The Schelde and the Waves. These were placed there in 1958 and 1964 .