In 1203-1205, on this place, within the domain of the Count's castle, after the count Boudewijn IX's profession, a simple church was built, which only cosisted of a choir. 50 years later, an early Gothic transept with a 3-aisled nave was added. The original choir was destroyed shortly after 1300, and replaced by a larger one with an ambulatory and radial chapels.
After the battle of the golden spurs, probalby some of the golden spurs were hung in this church. After the dramatic battle in Westrozebeke (1382), theu church was burnt. Restauration started in 1410. On the north side, the Our Ladies' chapel was added.
On juli 27th, 1578 the Protestants plunder Our Ladies' church.
In 1731, the choir got a new marble floor. By 1773, choir and the east transapt wall were decorated with marble. In 1900, the marble was removed.
During a bombing on juli 21th, 1944, the Our Ladies chapel collapsed, alogn with the northern transept. They were rebuilt.
Both side aisles carry a western tower. In the Western porch a neo-romanesque Our Ladies statue stands in the tympanum under the pointed arch.
The interior has an early Gothic triforium.
One of the radial chapels of the church is the Gothic Counts chapel, which houses the portraits of the Counts of Flanders in a series of pointed arches. We assume that the portaits, untill the one representing Lodewijk van Male, are made by Jan van der Asselt. In 1406, the series was continued by Melchior Broederlam and several other painters. In de backwall of the chapel, there is an opening through which the Count followed the services.
The organ is made by Pieter van Petegem, and dates from 1771. In 1872, it was renewed by P. Schyven.
On the north side of the church, there is a bronze bust representing Guido Gezelle. He was the under paster here between 1872 and 1899.