During the 10th centry, Bishop Notger chose Saint Martin as the patron saint for this
church. This Saint Martin was the patron of the warriors, and accentuated the military role
of this church. It was built on the old fortifications of the city.
In 1291, fire destroyed the original building. Later, the building was plundered by the
troops of Charles the Bold.
This church remains is built in Mosan Gothic style.
It was in this church that for the first time 'Sacrament's Day' was celebrated. This
celebration in honour of the Holy Sacrament became an official celebration in 1264 for all
Catholics after it had been recognized and approved of by Pope Urban IV.