This church was probably first a privatechapel at the house of the family
Adornes from Genua. The first chapel,probably dated from 1427-1429, was replaced shortly
after 1470 by a new chapel with tower. The actual church has still the same form as from
then. This probably thanks to the fact that it was not devastated by the iconoclasts as
it was private property.
This oneaisled building has a simple brique facade with a
central entrance under apointed arch. There are two
lancets with tracery in this facade.
Above the choir there is a special octogonal tower.The above building is
flanced by four polygonal turrets.As upperpart above the
tower there is a remarquable galery. There is a
wooden upperconstruction above the tower, with there above a globe, which symbolises the
world. The occidental looking upperconstruction is in contrast with the late
gothic elements of the rest of the church.
There are two stairs leading from the little nave to the higher choir,
which is separated form the neve with an open worked separation and two
oak wooden little doors that could be dated from 1484.
There is a crypt under the choir. In this crypt there is an
immitation of the grave of Christ.The devotion to the Holy Grave is also to be
recognised in the other ornaments in the chappel such as the
altar in de nave. This together with the strange looking tower
could indicate that the Adornes family wantedto copy the Holy Grave of Jerusalem. The
chapel thanks its name to this. This will allways be an hypothese as the original Holy
Grave was devastated by fire in the 16 th century and there are no iconoclastic sources
The mausoleum in the middle of the church is that of Anselmus
Adornes and his spouse..