This town gate dated from 1357-1373 used to be partr of the second drawbridge of Brussels. It is the last left over Brussels town gate.This town gate was drastically renovated between 1869 and1879 by H.Beyaert, who made a neogothic building of it on the outerside.
In the inside at the first floor the three-aisled great hall with gothic cross ribvaulting on pillars without capital was saved. The portcullis could be left down from this hall.
Today it is in use as a museum.