The Brigittinen, a contemplative orde originating from Dendermonde, came to Brussels in 1623 and established first in the Lollepotstreet. Their eerste convent was founded in the Hoogstraat in 1625, thier second at this place in 1652. The construction of this baroque conventchurch began in 1655 (probably with as architect Leonard van Heil), it was inaugurated in 1672 . At the origin it had a tower,that was destroyed during the bombardments in 1695. The fassade exists of a combination brics and sandstone, and is in comparison quit naarow. The pilasters, the mouldings, the volutes and flames vases seem to celebrate the voctory on the protstant Reformation.
After that the buildings lost their destination in 1784, after the french invasion, they were used as prison,warehouse for beer end wood, as a boucher and even as a ballroom. Between 1964 and 1975 the fassade of the church was restored. Today the church, the last rests of the former convent is used as a theater or museum.