This sandstone church is mainly Gothic.
The choir, the transept and the northern sacristy were built in the 15th century. The nave and the tower were built in the 16th century. The southern sacristy was added during the 18th century. The western porch is a Classicist addition from 1768.
In 1783-1784, the flanking aisles were enlarged and adapted. After a partial collapse in 1902-1904, a neo-gothic restauration was done with architect Rau.
The interior is mainly Classicist. The pulpit was made in 1754 by Frans Van Turnhout.
The paining 'The crussification of the Holy Peter' is attributed to Gaspard De Craeyer or Jan Cossiers.
There are quite some 16th and 17th century tombstones, amongst those the thombstones of the Sirs Van Leeuw.
The name of the church was indicated to us by Joachim Kelecom, who added to this that the people call this church Saint Peter's church, but this church does have the 'principi denuo apostolorum structa', as is indicated in the fronton above the porch. So indeed Saint Peter and Paul's church.
J.-Fr. de Montigny (translated by us): 'This chruch is built on the 'Lion Mountain', and is dedicated to Saint Peter du to the fact that the inheritance 'Peterslewenen' was donated to the chapitel of Saint Peters in Köln by Angèle. During the centuries, this 'Saint Peter' and 'lewenen' changed into 'SAINT-PETERS-LION'. It is assumed that this Angèle was the granddaughter of Charlemagne (Emperor Charles), and the spouse of Lothar II.
In the church, the relics of Pope Cornelius II (+ 252) are honnored.'