In 1552, the Prince Bishop of Liege ordred the building of the donjon in this place, in
order to protect the borders of the Namur area against the French and Spanish.
Samart however is much elder. Betheen the 13th and the 15th century, this area
belonged to the Saint-Mard abey - the name of the town still points to that. Later, the
owners changed faster, we name the Romerées, Auxbrebis (cupper stampers from Dinant),
becoming the counts of Samart. By 1575, it were the counts of Glimes de Brabant. The
scutcheon above the entrance - from 1667 - still points to that
family - married to 'T Serclaes.
From 1978 the castle was carefully restaurated by M. Gevaert (from Oudenaarde).
For more info (Frnech), see