This town gate was built in 1375 on the inner side of the
town wall. It was connected to another gate on the other side via a bridge.
The original name was 'Eeckel' gate. The name 'prisonners gate' was given later, when during the 16th century, the city prison was here.
The current view of the building is the result of a restauration done in 1727 in a classique baroque style.