This late-gothic meathall is from 1460-1462, and was
drawn by Jan Geuteghem. This building replaaced a earlier meathall
from the end of the 13th century.
The octogonal, a little corbeling out
little tower, the many dormers and
the sun clock give the building a special radiation. Probably
that this is the stair case tower where along the stairs
could be reached.The staircase tower is decorated with a Holy Mary staueunder a
gothic or neo-gothic baldachin.
A double bluestone stair was added in 1771 to the
rococo-frontbuilding.In 1896 this disappeared again during the
restaurationworks under Edouard Bouwens.
The benches of the boutchers were on the groundfloor until 1862. The first floor
was in use a guildhall for the Saint Joris guild until 1715. This
again had to make place for the HeadWatch of the Hollandisch and Austrian garnisons.
The hall on the second floor was since 1481 in use for the chamber of rhetoric or
In 1899 the museum for archeology was moved into the
Meathall.After the first worldwar the building was in use for seeveral services. It
was only in 1928 that the museum could partially reopen its doors. From 1946 on, the
Meathall could slowly become a museum again.
For more information look under www.dendermonde.be under Cultur and
Tourism, monuments and buildings.