This late-gothic meathall is from 1460-1462, and was drawn by Jan Geuteghem. This building replaaced a earlier meathall from the end of the 13th century.
The octogonal, a little corbeling out little tower, the many dormers and the sun clock give the building a special radiation. Probably that this is the stair case tower where along the stairs could be reached.The staircase tower is decorated with a Holy Mary staueunder a gothic or neo-gothic baldachin.
A double bluestone stair was added in 1771 to the rococo-frontbuilding.In 1896 this disappeared again during the restaurationworks under Edouard Bouwens.
The benches of the boutchers were on the groundfloor until 1862. The first floor was in use a guildhall for the Saint Joris guild until 1715. This again had to make place for the HeadWatch of the Hollandisch and Austrian garnisons.
The hall on the second floor was since 1481 in use for the chamber of rhetoric or 'the Leeuwerkenaars'.
In 1899 the museum for archeology was moved into the Meathall.After the first worldwar the building was in use for seeveral services. It was only in 1928 that the museum could partially reopen its doors. From 1946 on, the Meathall could slowly become a museum again.
For more information look under www.dendermonde.be under Cultur and Tourism, monuments and buildings.