The court of justice of Dendermonde near the Dender is a remarquable appearance, with a 50 meter high tower and layer of balcon. The tower has a kind of kiosk, surrounded with copper columns. These carry statues of gilt owls,as symbol for the wisdom. On the spire you can see the Ros Beiaard with the for local children.
The court of justice is situated on a historic location. In 1664 an abbey was ercted at the place where the ruine was located of the medieval castle of the lords of Dendermonde, whereto also the legend of the four local children and the Ros Beiaard are related. After the disappearing of this abbaye of the Carmelites in 1797 (French revolution) their Discalsenchurch became the 'Tempel of the reason'. The Justice Court of First Instance was rected in 1800 at this place. The church-court of justice was rebuilt in 1820 in neoclassicistic style, and in the years 1880 in neogothic style. A fire would destroy this building completely in 1914.
Valentin Vaerwyck has designed the building in the years 1923-1927 which would become the new Justice Court 'in new Flemish style'.