This equestrial statue of king Leopold II was inaugurated the 15th november 1926, at near bout the very place where Leopold II took the oath. This bronze statue was made by the scuptor Thomas Vinçotte and the architect François Malfait .
The statue was paid with private money. Some 2,5 million € were collected for this statue. The sculptor, who worked for it several long years, didn't have long pleasure of it. He died a few days after finishing the statue.