This little windmill is in some ways to compare with the Holland balancemills. A certain Jan Hubert built this mill after having recieved permission in 1879 to build a mill on his land. The name 'Hubert' is the name of a very famous millergeneration on the North seacoast. This name can be found in connection with different mills in the coastregion. (There were at a time three 'hubertmills' in Bredene.) In 1934 the mill got out of order and was degraded to touristic attraction.
The wings were removed during the second Worldwar under the instruction of the German occupier. After the war the mill was repared and classified as a landscape under protection together with the little surrounding houses in 1946.
In 1992 a springstorm caused great damage and the wingcross dissappeared. At that time the mill was bought by the commune which had ordered the millbuilders Peel (from Gistel) to repare and bring the mill back to his original form.
For more information look under Molenecho's.