The Saint Corsschurch was cut in two with the construction of the second townwall. It is only since 1497 that the people, separated from their parishchurch, became a new attachedchurch. For this convenience the Hof ter Vere was transformed into the Saint Anna church.
The building was enlarged between 1514 and 1534 into a fullthree-aisled church with tower. The building was sold nevetheless during the refomation in 1581 and partially demollished.
On top of the reste of the Saint-Annachurch a new late gothic hall church was constructed between 1611 and 1624.The fine bricks tower was terminated as latest in 1624.
The soberlate gothic outside of this church is in strong contrast with the baroque interior.Since 1626-1628 the nave is seperated from the polygonal choir with a strong marble choir screen. The wooden vaults were renewed into diagonal rib vault in 1657. The pression outwards is catched from an iron stroke around the outer walls. The lancet was replaced by segmental arched light between 1671 and 1673. On the outside you can still see signs of the original lancets. Finally the elegant tower became a sharp spire.
Guido Gezelle was baptised and later he did his first communion in this church.