The actual city hall of Dendermonde is located in the previous early gothic clothhallwith a bell tower.
After a fire in 1914 (war damage)only the walls were still standing. The building was restaured in 1920-1922 with the architect Sterck. Afterwards a large wing in new renaissancestyle was added at the backside.
The carillon in the remarquable spire exists of 49 bells, melted in 1949-1950.