In the 13 century the family Serghuys wanted to be better protected and it built a stonen house.
After the shooting in 1695 the gilde of the bakers became a lot of land to build a great gildhall for the corporation. From this comes the name 'bakershouse' ( not to be confused with the het Breadhouse').
This building has a wide fassade, with rythm created by flat pilasters. Remarquable baroque elements are a gravure of the King of Spain (from where the name also comes), the balusterattic with statues above and the octogonal dome.
There was a famous shop here until the beginning of the 50's (1950), but now it has become a tavern .
Click here for other buildings on the Town Square.