The river Zenne was overvaulted in 1865. This made the construction possible of a wide traficaxle between the north and south railway station. The mayer at that time J. Anspach wanted the construction of prestigious buildings along this axle. The building of the Exchange would be the crownjewel.
The architect Leon Suys mad of it aneclectic building, that could be entered via imposant doorways under richely decorated frontons.
This sculpture represents the fructuous interaction between industry,commerce, agriculture, sciences and arts.