This Royal Chapel was consacreted on February 19th 1690. Afterwards, it became the main church of Waterloo. The chapel was built according the orders of the governor, marquis de Castanaga, in classical style. He wanted to become from God that the Spanish King Charles II (who was also ruling Belgium) would get a son.
The text on the fronton under the 2 lions points to that: 'To the good and great Lord, consacrated to Saint Joseph and the Holy Anne, for the by the Catholic Sirs wanted offspring of Charles II, King of Spain and India, Pins of Belgium. François Antoine Agurto, marquis of Castanaga, governor, has donated this chapel and laid its first stone with endless wishes.'
In 1844 and 1968, the chapel was restaurated. The chapel is crowned by a dome with a spherical vault. it is illuminated by a lantern tower on the top and 6 oculi on the sides.
At the beginning of the 19th century, it became too small for the growing Waterloo population. it was enlarged, but not sufficiently. Finally, the current nave was built in 1855, according to Emile Coulon's plans. The choir with tower was added 2 years later according architect Dumon's plans. But the spire would have to wait until 1899.
Inside, the nave is under a ribbed vault.
The baroque, oak wooden pulpit was probably made by the Antwerpian Van Hoof. it is coming from the Cistercienzer abbeye of Aywiers.
For more info (French), see here.
Jean - Claude AHN (translated by us): 'This church has style and is simple and beautiful. It gives the Wellington area and the house of tourism a nice athmosphere in the centre of Waterloo. The rest of the Brussels stoneway is more chaotic and lacks style.'