Arround the year 1075 three laymen (Raoul, Folcuin en Lambert) gave up all their posessions to the church to be able to start a religious life. The bisshop of Luik (Henri de Verdun) sent them to Flône, where the little river, that runs parallely with the road Arlon-Tongeren, flows into the Maas, in order to protect the travellers. The trio built with their proper hands several mills and a chapel consacrated to Saint Mattheus. So the Augustinenabbey of Flône started being.
The abbey would suffer anti-religous reprisals on various occasions. The worst happened in 1568 with plunderings and fire when the troupes of the prince of Oranje passed there. During the French Revolution the abbey became private property until 1921, from then on it became the mother house of the Dames of the christian education.
Many of the present buildings date from the period 1658-1661. The construction consists off a closed entity with two inner courts, surrounded by high walls. The buildings on the other side of the road ( Castle Goffart) are more recent : they date from 1905.
Only the church can be visited.
If you understand french and want to know more, then got to the site of P. Bertrand