The St.Paul's Church originally was part of a giant Dominicane
cloister. But disaster struck here as well and on several occasions. After the
of 1679, a new baroque tower was built. The paintings were plundered
the French period but returned in 1815. Great damage was also done during the Belgian
Revolution (1830) and by a fire in 1968. On that occasion, those living round about
risked their lives to save the works of art from the fire.
Afterwards, the church has been restored and the magnificent interior is again on
view to the public : more than 50 paintings, more than 200 sculptures, splendid
altars and carved church furnishings which are some of the most beautiful in the
The creme of the Antwerp artists can be found here:
Rubens, Van Dyck, Jordaens,
Francken, Quellin, etc.
The organ dates from the seventeenth-century but has repeatedly
restored and enlarged. It is one of the most important in the country.
Next to the church (corner Veemarkt-Zwartzustersstraat) there is a
remarkable eighteenth-century (1697-1734) Calvary.
After Joost van der Voort translated by us): 'The calavary mountain: Several
sculptors have worked on this. A large part was done by Michiel van der
Voort-de Oude. Inside the church, there are apostls by his hand.'